January is School Board Recognition Month and the Monroe School District is joining districts across the state to thank these community volunteers for their commitment and contributions to our public schools.
"School board members serve countless hours working to make public education the best it can be for every child," said MSD Superintendent Dr. Fredrika Smith. "Here in MSD our board bears the responsibility and oversight for almost 7,000 students, in grades K to 12; more than 900 employees; and 10 campuses. These dedicated individuals deserve recognition and thanks for their unfailing commitment to the continuing success of our students now and in the future."
The men and women serving Monroe School District are:
- District 1: Jason Hutchinson - Jason Hutchinson was elected to the Board of Directors in 2013. Motivated by a desire to lead Monroe School District on a path to greatness, Jason knew becoming part of the School Board was the best way to be influential in decisions regarding the direction of the district.
- District 2: Nancy Truitt Pierce - Nancy Truitt Pierce was elected to the Board of Directors in November 2011. She ran for the position as a way to give back to the community and ensure pride in our schools. As a parent of students in the district, Nancy was impressed with Monroe School District and wanted to do her part to keep the district strong.
- District 3: Darcy Cheesman was elected to the Board of Directors in 2013 and is currently serving as the Board President. She ran for the position as a way to give back to the community.
- District 4: Jim Langston was appointed to the board in January of 2017 to fill a vacant position. Jim believes in listening, fairness and serving others, which is why he sought a position on the school board.
- District 5: Jerry Martin was elected to the Board of Directors in November 2017. As a parent of a student in the district, Jerry volunteered in the Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) program and through his involvement in our schools, realized he wanted to do more for the students of Monroe. When a position opened up on the School Board, it was a natural fit for Jerry.
You can learn more about our School Board here.
Please join us in recognizing our amazing School Board at the next meeting on Monday, January 22nd at 6:00 p.m. at Maltby Elementary School (9700 212th St SE, Snohomish, WA 98296). You can find the meeting agenda here. We hope to see you there!