Community members are invited to speak during the "Public Comment" portion of Board meetings.
Virtual Comments for the Board may be submitted via this Google Form to speak virtually (via Zoom) during a meeting. NOTE: virtual public comments must be submitted by noon the day of the Board meeting or they will be invited to speak at the following regular meeting.
In-person comments are also welcome. When you arrive for the Board meeting, you will find public comment forms on the table at the entrance.
The school board values input from staff and the community on educational issues. Comments may be made in person at school board meetings about an agenda item during the "Business" period or about an item not on the agenda during the "Audience Comment" period. Comments must adhere to the following parameters during board meetings, in accordance with Board Policy 1400:
- Individuals or groups wishing to comment in-person, must fill out the 'Audience Comment Form.'
- Virtual Comments for the Board may be submitted via this Google Form to speak virtually (via Zoom) during a meeting. NOTE: virtual public comments must be submitted by noon the day of the Board meeting or they will be invited to speak at the following regular meeting.
- Individual comments must be less than 3 minutes in duration. Each speaker is limited to one speaking opportunity on a given subject during a single meeting.
- Groups of staff or community members sharing the same opinion must ensure a presentation no longer than 10 minutes.
- Comments about specific staff members will not be accepted in this forum. Comments regarding staff members, whether positive or negative, are best delivered in writing. Please review Board Policy 4220, which explains the procedure for resolving a concern about a staff member.
- Comments about the ethnicity and/or the character or motives of individuals will not be tolerated.
- The Board President may, at his/her discretion, interrupt, warn, or terminate public commentary if it interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting or does not adhere to the above parameters.
- When you log-in to Zoom to join the meeting, please use the first and last name and email address that you submitted on the audience comment form so we can identify you amongst the list of attendees when it is your turn to speak. During public comment, our Technology Director will move you from the list of attendees to join the School Board on screen. Once your comment is finished (or three minutes have passed) you will be moved back over to the attendees. If you have any questions, please contact Gini Sorgen at email@example.com or 360-804-2504.
School board members may not engage in direct conversation with audience members during a meeting. If you would like an answer to a specific question, please let us know, and staff will be happy to contact you after the meeting.
- Board meetings are audio recorded in their entirety, including audience comments.
- Written comments may be sent to the School Board in care of the Monroe School District Administration Office, 14692 - 179th Avenue SE, Monroe, WA 98272.
- Comments may also be sent by email to the entire Board or individual Board members.