The school board values input from staff and the community on educational issues. Comments may be made in person at board meetings about an agenda item during the 'Business' period or about an item not on the agenda during the 'Audience Comment' period. Comments must adhere to the following parameters during board meetings, in accordance with Board Policy 1400:
- Individuals or groups wishing to comment, must fill out the 'Audience Comment Form' and submit to any staff member prior to the start of the meeting. Copies of the form are available at each meeting or may be printed ahead of time in English or Spanish.
- Individual comments must be less than 3 minutes in duration. Each speaker is limited to one speaking opportunity on a given subject during a single meeting.
- Groups of staff or community members sharing the same opinion must ensure a presentation no longer than 10 minutes.
- Comments about specific staff members will not be accepted in this forum. Comments regarding staff members, whether positive or negative, are best delivered in writing. Please review Board Policy 4220, which explains the procedure for resolving a concern about a staff member.
- Comments about the ethnicity and/or the character or motives of individuals will not be tolerated.
- The Board President may, at his/her discretion, interrupt, warn, or terminate public commentary if it interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting or does not adhere to the above parameters.
School Board members may not engage in direct conversation with audience members during a meeting. If you would like an answer to a specific question, please let us know and staff will be happy to contact you after the meeting.