Location: Maltby Elementary
The Monroe School District Montessori-Based Program began in 2012 and is located at Maltby Elementary. The tuition-free program serves students in grades K-5 and is currently divided into four classrooms, two primary grade level classes and two upper grade level classrooms. Classroom grade level groupings may change based on enrollment, gender balance and the specific needs of the children in the program.
A Montessori-based education helps children learn to be independent, self directed learners equipped with the tools needed to accomplish their academic and personal goals. The Monroe School District’s Montessori-based classrooms are “prepared environments” designed to facilitate maximum independent learning and explorations by the child. Students work independently, in small groups and with the entire class. Special Montessori-based materials help the child solve problems by themselves, building independence, analytical thinking and the satisfaction that comes from true accomplishment.
The following describes components of Maltby’s Montessori-Based program:
- 5 day a week program
- Students use Montessori curriculum and materials
- Students participate in district and state assessments
- 3 hour uninterrupted learning block
- Students participate in whole school events including assemblies, specialists (PE, music, library), lunch and recess.
- Students are supported by district services as needed (OT, PT, speech, LAP, etc)
- Teacher is both Montessori and Elementary certified
- Parents are required to attend at least one Parent Education class per year and volunteer a minimum of 20 hours per year, which may be done at school or home
- New families are required to tour the program (specific dates will be offered each year) before turning in paperwork for enrollment
There are no specific criteria a student must meet to participate in the Montessori-Based program. Participation in the kindergarten year is done through an annual drawing over spring break (the school year before the child would enter kindergarten). Parents are required to tour the program and turn in paperwork to be part of the drawing. Families will be notified of acceptance after spring break. Students in other grades will be considered on a first come first served basis with preference given to students who have had previous experience with the Montessori philosophy. We will also strive to balance our boys vs. girl ratio as well as grade levels. Once we have received enough registrations to fill the classes, a wait list will be created for any other interested families.
New and interested families are invited to attend our Montessori-Based Program Information Night on Thursday, February 28th at 6:30 p.m. in the Maltby Elementary library.
Interest forms are due in the Maltby Elementary office no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 29, 2-019.
For questions, please contact: