Strong relationships between schools and families play a critical role in the education and success of students and we are committed to continuously building these partnerships.
With a goal of fostering transparent, two-way communication, Superintendent of Monroe School District, Dr. Fredrika "Deka" Smith, extends an open invitation to families for a monthly "Superintendent's Chat." The first half of the meeting will feature a speaker from the district on predetermined topics that attendees chose last school year. The second half of the meeting, family members can ask questions, provide input and share viewpoints on district procedures, practices and policies. In order to accommodate busy schedules, monthly meetings will be offered both in the morning from 10:00-11:00 a.m. and in the evening from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
The Superintendent's Chats will occur monthly, typically on the second Thursday of the month. Meetings are held in the Board Room at the District Administration Office, 200 East Fremont Street, Monroe. The schedule of meetings for the 2019-20 school year is as follows:
- October 10 - Monroe High School Schedule Update
- November 14 - Family Access and Website 101 + Q&A
- December 12 - Healthy Youth Survey and District Behavioral Health Team
- January 9 - 2020 Tech Levy Information
- February 13 - *CANCELED*
- March 12 - Parent/Student Survey Results + Grading, Assessment & Curriculum Update
- April 23 - FOOD SERVICE (NUTRITION, LUNCH BALANCES, SUMMER LUNCH, ETC.)
- May 21 - Construction and Capacity Update
- June 11 - Supterintendent Chat Program Eval and Topic Setting for 2020-21 School Year
We welcome families to join us as much as their schedules allow!
To further foster open communication, we encourage each school's parent group (PTA, PTO, etc) to select a representative who could serve as a liaison. This representative will gather questions, input and feedback from the school's parent community, bring those topics to the Superintendent's Chats to share, and report back to the school's parent group on a monthly basis. If you are unable to attend a meeting, but have questions or feedback, please reach out to the parent representative at your school.