Logging onto Canvas
There are two different ways to log onto Canvas, depending on whether you are logging on as a student or as a parent.
Logging in as a student or staff
- Go to the website svec.instructure.com, or you may click the Student/Staff Canvas button under the WINGS/Canvas tab on this website.
- The website should ask you to log into a Google account, so you should be seeing a Google login page. Enter your student email address and password to log in.
Student Login Troubleshooting
If you do not see the Google login page and instead you see a "403 Error" message, please follow these steps:
- Go to gmail.com.
- In the top right corner or your screen, click on the profile picture button.
- Click sign out.
- Go to svec.instructure.com. You should be seeing the correct Google login screen now. Enter your student email address and password to log in.
If that solution does not solve the problem, please follow these steps:
- In your internet browser there should be a settings button in the top right corner. Oftentimes it looks like a button with three little dots on it. Click that button.
- In the menu that pops up you should see an option that says "New Incognito Window," or "New InPrivate Window," or something similar. Click that option.
- In the new window that pops up, go to svec.instructure.com. You should be seeing the correct Google login screen now. Enter your student email address and password to log in.
Why does this resolve the problem?
This resolves the problem because student-side Canvas logs in using a Google account - specifically the school Google account of the student. When you go to SVEC's Canvas website, it looks for signs that you might already be logged in so that you won't have to type in your username over and over. But if you are signed into a personal Google account, a non-school account that isn't authorized to use Canvas, it will take you to the 403 error screen, telling you that your account is not authorized to use the website. Therefore the solution is to simply go to gmail, log out, and try again!
If you are getting a 403 error message while using a Chromebook, please verify the following:
- Make sure that you logged into the Chromebook using a Monroe School District email address that ends with @school.monroe.wednet.edu.
- If you are using a personal Chromebook and not a district device, you must log off from the Chromebook and sign back in using a Monroe School District email address.
Why does this resolve the problem?
The act of logging into a Chromebook device with an email address causes that email address to be the default address accessed by anything that needs a Google account. Therefore, Canvas always accesses the account of whoever logged into the Chromebook. So if you logged into the Chromebook using an email address that is not authorized to access Canvas, you will get a 403 error.
Logging in as a parent
The parent accounts for Canvas act as a means of observing your students' progress and activity. Because of the different way in which these accounts work, there is a separate page for logging into them.
First-time users: please note that for account setup you must use Chrome or Firefox as your internet browser. If the Internet Explorer browser is used you will get an error message.
- Go to the website svec.instructure.com/login/canvas, or you may click the Parent Canvas button under the WINGS/Canvas tab on this website.
- If you have already created your parent Canvas account, simply put in your email address as the username, enter your password, and click log in.
- If you have not already created your parent Canvas account, click the "Forgot Password?" button, enter your email address, and click "Request Password."
- You should receive a password in your email, or a password reset link. The email will explain how to proceed and obtain your password.
- Once you have your password, go back to svec.instructure.com/login/canvas.
- Enter your email address, and your newly obtained password, and voila! You're in.